Holy Trinity Catholic Church is situated on the western side of the city of Johannesburg in Braamfontein, Holy Trinity Church is part of the central deanery of the Archdiocese of Johannesburg and on the south eastern corner of the campus of the University of the Witwatersrand. In 1897 the Trappist Monks from Mariannhill set up a mission to serve migrant mine workers in Stiemens Street. The first church was built and opened in 1899. Soon after this the Anglo-Boer war broke out and the Trappists returned to Natal. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate served the new parish. The current church was completed and opened in 1938. In 1966 the Paulist Fathers looked after the parish and university chaplaincy. In 1969 the parish was handed over to the Diocese for a short period.

The Society of Jesus was given responsibility for the parish in 1973 and have served the community ever since. The Jesuits oversaw the building of Trinity House, a residence for Catholic students studying at the Universities in the area. The residence was opened in 1991.

The present parish population is made up of approximately 600 families, drawn from all over Johannesburg as well as the universities.


The parish is responsible for the pastoral care of those in the Milpark Hospital and the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre. People from the Parish Community regularly visit the hospitals. If you would like a member of the parish to visit a patient in one of the hospitals please contact the parish office.


Situated within the parish are two Catholic Schools, McAuley House in Milpark and Holy Family Convent in Parktown. The priests at Holy Trinity offer pastoral care to the schools.


The Jesuits are responsible for and run the chaplaincies to the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) and the University of Johannesburg (UJ). A Eucharist is celebrated every Sunday evening at the parish, at 18h00, at which students at Wits often attend. The Eucharist is also celebrated at the Jesuit Community in Auckland Park that is close to the University of Johannesburg at 13h00 on a Sunday afternoon.  Please contact the chaplain for more details: Fr David Rowan, S.J.

History of Holy Trinity 1938-1988

Two books explain the History of Holy Trinity Catholic Church. The first was a Souvenir Booklet commissioned for the opening of the new church in 1938, and the second was a booklet detailing the history of the Church from 1897 until 1988 on the commemoration of the Golden Jubilee of the new church (1938-1988).