top
Where it all started

About Us

Holy Trinity Catholic Church is a parish of the Archdiocese of Johannesburg, and has been served by the Society of Jesus in Southern Africa since 1971.

The parish is part of the central deanery of the archdiocese. The church is conveniently located on the southeastern corner of the main campus of the University of the Witwatersrand, in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.

In 1897, Trappist Monks from Mariannhill established a mission to serve migrant mine workers in Stiemens Street, and the first church was built and opened here in 1899. Soon after, the Anglo-Boer war broke out, and the monks returned to Natal.

At which time, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate were called upon to serve the new parish. The current church was completed and opened in 1938. The Paulist Fathers succeeded the oblates in 1966 and served the parish and university chaplaincy.

The parish was handed back into diocesan hands in 1969, but this period was short-lived. In 1973, the Society of Jesus took responsibility for the parish, which it retains today.

The Jesuits oversaw the building of Trinity House, a new residence for Catholic students studying at universities in the area. The residence was opened in 1991. The Jesuits have since served as chaplains to the university students of this part of Johannesburg.

 

Who we are

OUR STAFF

Rev. Bruce Botha SJ
Parish Priest
Rev. David Dryden SJ
Assistant Parish Priest
Rev. Billy Davies
Parish Deacon
Cathy Setlogelo
Residence Manager
Tebogo Petja
Parish Secretary
CAMERON UPCHURCH
Director of Music
ANNE BAKER
Safeguarding Contact Person
Footer